Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Based on Van Gogh's "Fisherman"

Based on Van Gogh's painting of a fisherman on a river. I did not try to copy all that exactly. That would require matching paint colors exactly, trying to duplicate paint strokes etc. Probably it would be good to do that to a greater extent, but when copying this I felt that variability and frankly expressionism that conveys the idea is sufficient. As a result I didn't do a particularly good job of replicating the boats or fisherman. I don't think they need to be. This kind of painting is a lot of work. Despite all the randomness, it takes as long as the portrait I just did where I tried to get every detail exact. My brush strokes did not work very effectively for the water. Van Gogh's weren't as good as say Monet. But I didn't want to make this just about water, that is something I'll work on more in the future.

No comments: