Friday, March 9, 2007

Based on a Pissarro I think


This is my first attempt to copy an impressionist. What is fascinating about this is the high definition in the rock and stone work. Many colors mottled together. This approach is useful for sea clifts, hills and mountains, making them appear much more like the chaotic fractal patterns of rock.

The original has hundreds of little leaves, and debris and sticks scattered on the ground. Part of the difficulty of duplicating this kind of painting is scale. Besides the delicate small scale work of facial features, the leaves and blossums in the distance need to be made small. It is difficult to make paint strokes small enough when working in an 8 in by 10 in format to make the distant leaves appear distant when compared with the foreground. Doing so is critical to get perspective. All the litter on the ground is difficult to paint realistically because it is so small. Once again the face got too dark. I thought I had lightened it, but it seems to have dried darker than it appeared. I can always go back, but every flesh tone mix is different. Update, I did go back and lighten the face a bit.

No comments: