Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ingrid












For a while it has occurred to me that the best artists in any age are drawn to the best paying area of endeavor. In the Renaissance painting and sculpture for the Church, in France and England paintings of the aristocrats, in Holland in the seventeenth century, paintings of local color. Since photography and movies the best visual artists probably work in movies. Almost any film has great cinematography that combines good lighting, wonderful landscapes and remarkable poses of made up actors and actresses. So watching films I often wish I could stop the TV and capture the pose I see momentarily. Tonight I had a DVD of "Play it again Sam". It starts with the final scene from "Casablanca". Here are four drawings from that scene where Ingrid opens her mouth in suppressed pain closing her eye, bends her head forward and then Bogart lifts it back up and she looks at him. Wonderfully beautiful! These were more difficult for me to draw, I usually have a hard copy so that I can make measurements in order to keep the scale. Here, I'm totally freehand.


I want to add some wash to these and see how it looks. But they may never look as good as now.


No comments: