Sunday, March 25, 2007

Based on Derain's "Bathers"

Several Expressionists did paintings of bathers. This one could have been Matisse, or Picasso later on. It absolutely stunned me. It was painted by Andre Derain, in 1908. I had not read about him before. I particularly liked two or three of the sixteen paintings I looked at finding several so-so. But I think this one is awesome. It is tricky to copy, because it has many washes or very thin glazes, I believe. It seemed to me that using washes was the trick, but then you get drying lines, unless you wet the paper, which I didn't think of. If you try to do it all opaque, then I guess you can dry brush the tints on later or try to wash them on. I found glazes of acrylic medium too thick. Most of the colors to the figures I applied first before the main skin tone. I did some washes later. Getting the many tones of the background blues and greens was even more difficult, here is where the brush strokes show the most.

In this case my scanner is not staying true to the colors. The right side is dark blue green, but the green does not show in this copy even when you double click and view it up close.

No comments: