Sunday, February 18, 2007

Original - Pieter Pauwel Rubens

My audience of one insists that I post the originals. I feel my paintings look better without the comparison. My early drawings looked good with the comparison because I got quite close with simple drawings, and I was proud of that, but painting is a whole different situation.

This is a portrait of the Duke of Lerna. It hangs in the Museo del Prado in Spain. The original is 283 cm x 200 cm which explains why Rubens has a little better command of the details than my 7 inch painting. Unfortunately, I started mine as a sketch from a monochrome copy that had been cut off at the top and bottom and so missed some of the composition. It was on only 50# paper, but I decided to paint it in rather than use pastel. This piece is magnificent. Double click to see the detail.

No comments: